View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 10:46 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Ginnie, your story about Christmas in Florida reminded me of blessed Christmases my husband and I had in Maui, many years ago. Christmas there is wonderful.
However, here I am in snow-covered mountains of New Mexico. This year I didn't even try to put up decorations, although I felt like the Grinch, because many on our street decorate greatly. The Jewish people do not put up lights, except for the house where I think there may be a Jewish and a Christian couple, because the blue and white Hannukah lights were all over the roof by November 28, and the Christmas tree by the door was lit by mid December. Across the street, the Catholic-Mormon couple put up only one string of red lights this year, and he commented that the neighborhood was not as bright as usual (correct). I thought, yes, this is a bad year so people don't feel like decorating, but I didn't say that to him, as he and his family were doing something VERY nice for me, taking me to church on Christmas Eve. How lovely that they included me, the lonely old widow, in their Christmas! The church was very well decorated.

On Christmas day, I had the best Christmas ever at my son's house, where everyone was loving and happy, and miraculously there was a game to play that I could win over my 11 year old grandson, Scrabble. Usually he and his brother beat me at games, but this time I won. And everything was really merry and bright, and very well decorated. The most beautiful tree within a house I have ever seen (I've seen bigger and more overwhelming trees outside, of course).
So I stole Christmas from the Grinch this year.
Mariel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (12-26-2013), doydie (12-27-2013), Erika (12-26-2013), SallyC (12-26-2013)