Thread: Nerve Study
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

In the beginning carpal tunnel is numbness and tingling.
Often the affected hand goes numb when sleeping. I first noticed it before my pregnancy when gripping the steering wheel of the car.
(this was 2-3 yrs before the pregnancy at age 34).

Pain did not come to me until I was pregnant and it escalated to
alarming levels!

Most carpal tunnel is thought today to be metabolic in origin.
It used to be always thought to be a repetitive strain, but now the thinking is that the strain "reveals" it but doesn't in fact cause it.

When I had my EMGs on my arms in my 5th month, the doctor was concerned that they showed 80% loss of function. This mostly resolved after my son was born. But I still have it to some extent mostly in my right hand today. If I don't strain it somehow, I don't notice it. But if I try to sew with a needle, I have 10 minutes at best before my hand goes numb. I can type and use a computer mouse quite well today, luckily. But lifting something really heavy, or twisting the wrong way, will set off a major pain stab, which then leads to more numbness and tingling unless I wear the brace for a while. Everyone is going to be different.

The same tendon compression in the feet is called tarsal tunnel syndrome. If I tie my athletic shoe laces too tightly, my toes will go numb as well. My carpal tunnel was thought to be due to hypothyroid functions at the time.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote