View Single Post
Old 12-28-2013, 01:00 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slb340 View Post
Thank you for that info. I do know that anything goes on YouTube, so I was skeptical of it as well. If it did really work that well, there would be more publicity on it.

My mom was recently diagnosed with "mild" PD a few months ago, but does not seem to be doing that well on Carbidopa/L-dopa. She is significantly worse in the last 2 months, so I decided it's well past time we start researching this disease so we're better able to work with the doctor. She's having a great deal of difficultly walking, getting out of the chair, etc, and I'm afraid she's going to get a bad fall and break a bone one of these days.

I'm glad that I've found this forum. Thanks for your comments!
everyone is different with pd.
i suggest instead of trying to research alt treatments for which there is only unsubstantiated testimonials, you try to get the best conventional drug regime for your mom, which means adjusting dose and timing of C/L. Of course exercise and nutrition are important but from my experience as someone with advanced pd, i don't feel like doing anything mentally or physically when my C/L wears off.
of course getting a 2nd opinion never hurts to make sure she has PD and if that is the 2nd opinion then what medication schedule do they recommend.

I suggest you buy a used copy of THE PARKINSON'S DISEASE TREATMENT BOOK by AHLSKOG, it goes into great detail on medication decisions. it's a great starting point if you meet with your mom's neuro.

C/L is a great drug when it works but you have to be diligent in taking it at the same time everyday and keep in mind that it's effect can be negated by protein taken at the same time and only 5-10% of the l-dopa gets to the brain, the rest is broken down and can't pass the blood brain barrier. so constipation, dehydration, protein in food and supplements can cause more l-dopa breakdown as it takes longer to get to the BBB.

And you have to be proactive with neuros, they are incredibly busy.
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Betsy859 (12-29-2013)