View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013, 06:40 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Sam (and Roberta!) I'm sorry you have CRPS obviously, but welcome to the forum and I hope you've found lots of useful info on the site...

Too many of us have a hard time getting diagnosed, and then a hard time getting the treatment we need This is indeed one heck of a disease, but as another poster said, never forget that what you see on forums generally represents the worst of any condition, simply because most folk who are doing well and coping well are busy living life and don't have the need of them!

I had problems with Gabapentin myself and had to go off it, but many folk find it really helps them. We are all different, both in how the disease affects us, and in how well certain meds help. Only you and your doctors can work out what is a good approach for you. And when it comes to CRPS, it's hard to know what is a symptom of the condition and what is a side-effect of a med.

Good luck as you trawl through the site and threads. There's loads of useful hints and tips and info on here, I won't repeat them all in detail (usually I would lol, as folk here would testify but I'm pushed for time today as my husband is poorly bless him. I'll just skip through the list...

Vitamin C 500mg every day to resist spread.
Unperfumed Epsom salts, in a bath or wrapped in a damp cloth.
No hot or cold extremes of temperature.
No ice anywhere.
Keep moving, even if only gently on a bad day. General exercise too.
Physio is important especially early on. Use it or lose it is our mantra!
Find the best docs you can, don't endure poor treatment.
Believe in yourself and your body, and stick up for both of them lol.
Consider seeing a counsellor if your life becomes very affected by CRPS. Talking is good
Read, read and read. Become as knowledgeable about the facts of CRPS as you can, so that you can make some sense of the muddle out there - not many medics are sure on CRPS at all, but some will say they know more than they do. Knowledge is protection.
Live as fully as you can and fight against losing your social or work life. It comes to some folk no matter how much they fight it, but all will tell you how much they miss it when they are no longer able.
You cannot protect yourself against all the pain. CRPS is painful anyway, even if you are still. In time you do learn how to push through a certain amount of it and get on with things again, but it's common to struggle in the early months. Never give up hope of change or improvement. I spent 18 months on crutches and in a wheelchair, but I'm on my feet and walking again thanks to a lot of work and determination. I don't know for how long...but it's good while it lasts!
Try meditation - I was sceptical but it's done wonders for me at times, and saved my sanity several times. Pain causes stress and stress is bad for you...

I have to go now. Sorry for any repetition/preachiness!! Take good care of yourself and I hope you have a better day.

Bram.

Coeliac since 2007.
Patella femoral arthritis both knees.

Keep smiling!
Brambledog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Allanira (12-29-2013), Lottie (12-29-2013)