View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 05:07 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

There is a movement now suggesting that high dose antioxidants, may turn on people and actually cause damage. This is rather new however.

The track record for Vit C and inflammation, and arthritis is pretty long in the studies. In fact RSD...neuropathy of the sympathetic nerves... was shown to be blocked by giving 500mg-1000mg in several European studies when trauma or surgery was done on wrists and ankles. This type of trauma can bring on RSD in susceptible patients. (this prevention was done for approximately 2 months following the surgeries). Some RSD patients today, improve in pain scores when using IV administration of Vit C.
Some of our posters here on RSD forum are doing this.

Vit C has been a mainstay for treating collagen disorders and arthritis for many years.

Interested readers here can Google antioxidant warnings.
Here is a recent example:
http://healthland.time.com/2013/08/0...-antioxidants/

Keep in mind that the media is not very reliable...this very same magazine..will push statins even today, when their known toxicity is being revealed rapidly.

I only use 250mg of Vit C a day..to keep my gums healthy, and my arthritis tolerable. Vit C is controversial, and there are even claims now that special formulations like nano liposomes or IV can cure heart disease and or cancer! (because fresh fruit trigger my GI angioedema attacks, I no longer can eat citrus etc.). But that is a special provision that applies only to me, and others with HAE.

example:
http://www.drlam.com/opinion/vitamin...ar_disease.asp

There are studies now showing Vit C reduces C-reactive protein levels and this seems positive to me as lowering risk of coronary heart disease.

But the studies do vary all over the place on this topic. Alot has to do with how the studies are done, patients chosen, and how the Vit C is administered and for how long.

The bottom line is moderation I believe. Dr. Weil suggests moderation now with consumption of all antioxidants. And I have been concerned about the high doses of astaxanthin that are being promoted by Dr. Mercola (who sells this also).

Here is the Linus Pauling Institute page on Vit C... some here may find it interesting and helpful:
http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...mins/vitaminC/

Google "prooxidants" to find more articles on this possibility.
However, the anti-supplement lobbies, are very active in this country, and it is very difficult to sort out the truth, on this topic because of them. Keep that in mind too.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
hopeful (01-29-2014), Joe Duffer (01-29-2014), Jomar (12-30-2013), pabb (12-30-2013), Stacy2012 (12-30-2013)