View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013, 10:10 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblyshar View Post
His first neurologist was reluctant to start him on drugs until he really needed it and he said once you start on l-dopa you cant turn back His initial symptom was just tremor.

Now he is with an mds who he has seen once. The MDS said it is his call as to when he starts drugs. He is scared of starting with l-dopa. His old neuro suggested starting with azilect. I am at a loss for what he should start with.
Bubblyshar, I am 38 years old, diagnosed with YOPD 3 years ago. I'm currently on levodopa monotherapy (400mg/day). A significant percentage of patients with YOPD, who are much younger than your dad, take levodopa for optimal symptomatic relief. The sole disadvantage of levodopa-as compared to other PD drugs like the Dopamine agonists-is the , theoretical, risk of accelerating the onset of levodopa-induced dyskinesias (LID), especially in patients younger than 40 years old. For this reason, many neurologists prefer to delay levodopa for as long as possible in younger patients. However, in older patients with typical idiopathic late-onset PD. (patients aged>50 years at diagnosis) the risk of LID is much smaller and levodopa is the first-line treatment choice.

Levodopa remains the most effective and best tolerated PD drug.

I really cannot understand why your neurologist is reluctant to prescribe levodopa to your dad.

PS: Once you start levodopa you don't WANT to turn back.
dilmar (01-01-2014)