View Single Post
Old 01-01-2014, 08:37 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default hi

Hi Jeff,
Sounds like you are all set for DBS. I just had DBS a month ago and it was not as bad as I had imagined. The worst part was going off meds a day before surgery. My family was supportive and helped thru the process. I recovered from first surgery within three days, didnot feel much pain. Second surgery was more painful, but pain killers were there to make me sleep thru the night. Overall, it was not bad at all......

Hope this helps.
Good luck and hope DBS helps you get bACK to your life.

Girija

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigster View Post
A lurker until now, I thought it might be helpful to the broader community for me to share information about my journey. Not entirely altruistic as I hope that I benefit as well.

Background- 56 yo male with diagnosis in 2010. Symptoms presented as a persistent tremor in 4th and 5th digit of right hand. Fast forward to today with bilateral tremors, both hands/arms. No other motor symptoms. No changes in cognition, ambulation, etc. Still drive and work full time.

Have in my stable a fellowship trained movement disorders neurologist (Gainesville, Fl) partnered with a neurosurgeon with substantial credentials in DBS. I trust their counsel and they listen to my input.

Currently taking Sinemet 25-100 2 1/2 tablets every four hours. 1 mg Mirapex twice daily. Generally good response to Sinemet but looking for greater tremor control.

Have had a full workup including speech, PT, OT, Neuropsychology, and psychiatry. MRI yesterday and surgery scheduled for Friday, January 3rd.

Will have bilateral insertion of electrodes with an anticipated surgery time of 4 to 5 hours. An overnight stay in the hospital and then discharge the next day.

Scheduled return one week later for outpatient placement of a Medtronics generator on the left chest wall (I hunt and the surgeon is happy to place it where it will not interfere with shooting a rifle- a frequent request, he says, here in Michigan).

I have great insurance, a strong social and family network. I am scared (to be expected), but like many here, it is the impact on my family that is of greatest concern.

Ask any questions that you my have. And share any persecutive that you wish.

Jeff
girija is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
olsen (01-02-2014)