View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 08:46 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default I'm Cured!!

I was diagnosed with carotidynia several years ago. I had what felt like an impact wound on the left side of my neck. It came and went for months. It kept me awake at night or would wake me up repeatedly, and it ached constantly. I went to different doctors, and even went to a medical school library to research carotidynia. I was placed on prednisone, NSAIDs, and pain killers. Nothing worked. Then I went to a rheumatologist, who gave me a script for Flexeril. He said to take only half of one pill about a half hour before bed every night. It worked immediately! I took the Flexeril for about a week, and I have never had any real trouble from carotidynia again. On two occasions, I thought I was having a mild recurrence, but each time, a single half-dose of Flexeril warded off any relapse. A generic name for Flexeril is Cyclobenzaprine. I keep a current prescription on hand, but except for the two occasions I mentioned, I have never used it.

By the way, I will die before I ever take prednisone again. I thought my heart would beat itself to death; I couldn't sleep; I gained 30 pounds in a month and could not find enough food to suppress my insane appetite (I still haven't been able to lose the weight I gained); and my hips and legs ached (and I still have recurrences of aching hips). And prolonged use of NSAIDs and narcotic pain killers is not good for you.

I sure hope this helps somebody else -- or at least gives them hope that there is a solution out there.
Healthynut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote