View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 05:47 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Fuzz...you are a good guy

You are very dear to want to know how to be supportive of your wife.
The best things my husband does is, when I am in the recliner or bed, he will rub my feet, or he brings me a hot face cloth and I just lay it over my face to relax the muscles. He massages my ears very lightly which is helpful. Atypical facial neuropathy is one of the pain issues I have caused by an infection that caused nerve damage.

Ask her what stresses her the most and handle that for her. I know for most of us, pain is there but we all still have to lead our lives.... bath, cook, food shop, clean, run errands, etc....do as much as you can to help the things that cause her the most pain. I know with TN, even air conditioning on the face hurts, or a cold wind or sometimes any wind, make sure nothing is blowing on her face. My husband bought me these fleecy ski mask kind of things that I wear in the winter when I have to go out but some days even
a piece of cloth on your face hurts. Lyrica is what helped me most. Honestly, I just got of it due to side effects but, I am sorry I did because I now realize how helpful it was.

Maybe research the best doc in a multi-state area that handles TN and make an appt and bring her. Research natural cures, I know, if I eat sugar, it really kicks my neuropathy into high gear so best to avoid it. B12 injections or infusions help neuropathy. Maybe find a naturopath in your area that may have holistic treatments. I know for many of us, if it has been a long time, you tend to feel beaten down by the whole thing. Being supportive and loving, as you obviously are, is very helpful.

Happy New year....I hope it is a better one for you and your wife.
Diandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz View Post
Hi All

this is my first post - but I have been reading your posts for a while now

my wife was diagnosed with TN 5 years ago - she has had two operations and taken so many drugs I cant remember all the names - nothing has worked

I watch her suffering unimaginable pain every day - and I try to help - but nothing I do seems to help

does anyone have any advice about how I can be supportive in a way she might appreciate or have any ideas about stupid things carers say or do that I should avoid

any advice that can help me help her would be great

thank you
Diandra is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote