View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 06:52 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Some of the compounded creams with several drug ingredients include clonidine.
Yes, I first came across this article as I was doing background reading for a compounding cream that I am using. The cream that I am using includes Clonodine and has quite a drug store of compounds:

Flurbiprophen Powder - an NSAID, an anti-inflammatory,
Bupivacaine Powder - a local anasthetic, (with cardiotoxic risks),
Psyclobenzaprine HCL - a muscle relaxant (fexaril) (and off-label treatment for fibromyalgia),
Tramadol HCL Powder - an opiate working on the mu transmitter,
Clonidine HCL Powder - see below, and
PCCA Custom Lipo-max Cream - the base into which the compounds are mixed.

Clonidine HCL Powder - is an approved treatment for ADHD and High Blood Pressure and used off-label quite a bit. According to wikipedia, it is a sympatholytic medication used to treat high blood pressure, ADHD, anxiety/panic disorder, and certain pain conditions. It is used to treat torrette syndrome (tics), stress, sleep disorders, anxiety, borderline personality disorder, PTSD, migraine headaches, hot flashes associate with menopause, and facial flushing and redness associated with rosacea. It is used as an epidural for severe pain. And, as in my off-label compound, It has also been successfully used topically in a clinical trial as a treatment for diabetic neuropathy.

For those who may not be aware of compounding, "Pharmacy compounding is the art and science of preparing personalized medications for patients. Compounded medications are “made from scratch” – individual ingredients are mixed together in the exact strength and dosage form required by the patient. This method allows the compounding pharmacist to work with the patient and the prescriber to customize a medication to meet the patient’s specific needs." (Taken from the PCCA website. PCCA is something like the Professional Compounding Association.)

I got involved through my pain management physician who enrolled me into a clinical trial,

P,L,U,

Mike
amike is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
hopeful (01-04-2014)