View Single Post
Old 05-24-2007, 01:20 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Mike,

If you can/do go back to work, it is as AK Kid/Kim stated: ergonomics is crucial.

What I learned in PT is to roll up a towel and place it between a chair (even ones sold as being "ergonomic," which my office chairs have always been touted as by the sellers) and where the spine would naturally curve or arch; it adds the right type of support/positioning for posture to the lumbar spine.

As well, if you can stand - something I can barely do without support these days - stand against a wall for 10 mins or so a few times a day with your shoulders touching a wall and with your feet against the baseboard, without arching your spine, which should be having a touch point with the wall.

That's the "proper" alignment, but, again, that's also a lot easier for people without spinal conditions. But, if one can retain such posture, and make it a conscientious effort initially, it's supposed to become something that's a "staple" of living and done without thought after a time. In other words, it should get easier. If it doesn't go smoothly, though, don't beat up on yourself; I heard it from a PT whom was in great shape and minus spinal disease or conditions.

From what I've learned, over some years, after my spinal disease was dx'd (following a fall down a flight of stairs when my limbs were numb), lumbar surgery does not pan out with nearly the same "success" rate on fusion as does cervical spine fusion. I'm not saying that to scare you. Not at all. But, it may also be one of the reasons why so many insurance companies also "push" at least 12-weeks conservative approach toward treatment prior to even considering an authorization on invasive surgical proceedures.

Without insurance, I also would not rule out a teaching hospital, particularly if there is one within "reach."

This is an example of why I asked what state you're from:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...67&postcount=4

I am just so sorry you've been in so much pain. I also know how it feels to have the worry of no insurance looming; I recently went through a job transition and went through so much negotiating just to seal things to assure I had the insurance I preferred.

Treesgirl, I feel terrible about saying "welcome" since I know that you are also in pain, yet... I'm glad that you have found a place where you will also receive support and info.

Mike was able to include his image by linking from a photo image hosting site/server and using a hyperlink direct to the image.

Bobbi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote