View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

penny....

The doctors can not 'fix' you. Their conflicting opinions are because they do not know how to identify your symptoms as real. IMO, the value of doctors is to learn little tidbits of information so you can better understand your symptoms. We can also help you understand your symptoms here. Learning to recognize triggers and signs of an impending increase is symptoms/struggles/foggy brain, etc. is often the best we can do. Learning to moderate one's environment so as to minimize these symptoms is also important.

The challenge in returning to work is the loss of ability to moderate the working/living environment.

If your speech gets slow or slurred, it means you need a serious break from cognitive effort. Being prepared to say, " I have a brain injury and sometimes my brain gets fatigued and causes me to struggle. When this happens, I need to take a break and rest my mind. " (or something similar) will usually be effective. You need to find a way to explain your condition to others in simple terms. It may just be "My injured brain can not multi-task right now. I need a quiet and simple environment to do my work."

Often, the biggest problem we face is our brain's inability to filter our environment. A properly working brain can filter out ambient sounds, visual and audio distractions, and other sensory input so that we can focus on the task at hand. The injured brain often can not filter out these often overwhelming distractions. We need to take steps to avoid them by changing our work environment. I don't know of any other way to get past this problem. I doubt anybody can.

Be prepared to tell your boss or HR department about these needs. You can likely be productive in the proper environment. Using headphones for telephone conversations may help. Having a quiet office to meet with clients can help.

Tell us more about your work environment and maybe we can help you find ways to make it work.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote