View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 08:37 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Vrae,
Sorry to hear about the new challenges. I just wanted to second what Ali12 and zookester said about POTS and vasovagal syncope. Both are just different flavors of disorders of the autonomic nervous system - often referred to under the umbrella term "dysautonomia." My daughter has both CRPS and POTS, and although I don't think there's much research to confirm this (although I may be wrong), I don't think it's terribly uncommon for them to occur together, which makes sense since they both involve problems with the autonomic nervous system.

If you haven't already found it, this website is not a bad place to start for some basic information, and links to other resources: http://www.dinet.org/.

When you see the neurologist, you might want to ask him about ordering a tilt table test for you - it will measure changes in your blood pressure may be occurring from small changes in your body position.

While you're waiting, there are a few totally safe things you can do to help your self in case it is POTS, or a similar disorder: drink lots of water, and any time you change position (e.g. Sitting to standing, laying to sitting, orlaying the standing), do so slowly. The fainting that people get with POTS, is basically a like the "head rushes" that we've all experienced when we stand up quickly, just more frequent and severe. When we get a head rush, we're just feeling the result of our brain not getting as much oxygen as it would like because when we got up, our heart's job was to pump a bit harder against gravity to get blood up to our brain, and because we stood up too quickly, the heart couldn't quite do the job. Being well hydrated increases your blood volume, which makes it easier for your heart to pump blood back up to your brain (to oxygenate it) and changing position gradually, just gives your heart more time to do the job.

If you do have some kind of dysautonomia, of course there are medications, etc. That you could take, but there's no harm in trying those basic self care activities while you're waiting.

Hope you're feeling better soon-
BG
BraveGirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lottie (01-06-2014), Vrae (01-15-2014)