View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 12:18 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenntaj View Post
--GatorGuy, you mentioned you were gluten sensitive; do you have any specific serological (elevated anti-gliadin or anti-transglutaminase antibodies), dermatological (dermatitis hepatiformis), or intestinal (villious biopsy) evidence of that?

Gluten sensitivity/celiac can lead to all sorts of neurological problems, certainly including the ones you describe. This can actually occur through two mutually exacerbating mechanisms--malabsorption of nutrients leading to deficiencies and neurological symptoms, or cross-reactivity of gluten antibodies with certain nerve structures in their own right (the true "autoimmune" reaction).

As Mrs. D notes, you do seem rather thin for your height, and I wonder what your nutritional status is as regards a number of minerals, vitamins, etc. that are normally absorbed in the digestive tract.

You definitely should be perusing The Gluten File--lots of comprehensive information about this:
Thanks for the Gluten-File link. I will definitely research. I do not have any scientific evidence that I have a gluten intolerance. I have not been tested for it. My mother is celiac and I've "self-diagnosed" myself based on some of the symptoms she used to exhibit when exposed to gluten. After I eat a food with gluten I literally feel like a tire is just inflating around my abdomen for several hours after. Significant stomach discomfort. But, I've never exhibited any nuerological symptoms after say going on a binge fest eating pizza, fast food, etc. I have done my best to avoid gluten for about the last 6 months...

FWIW, I looking to have some professional nutritional counseling in the near future to be tested for specific food sensitivities.

Thanks... (also I'm starting a new thread in the PN sub forum as I receive a copy of my bloodwork and MRI today).
UFGatorGuy20 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (01-06-2014)