View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 01:50 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi arayuq,

I am a professional audio engineer.

I used custom-molded ear plugs before I sustained a concussion and afterwards. Since the accident, since I've been more sensitive to sound, I've even used them in circumstances that I wouldn't have before the accident.

They are expensive, but they are very comfortable and work very well to allow the user to hear all the frequencies. I really hate those foam earplugs because they cut off the high end of music and sounds. (Although they and the wax earplugs both worked well for me while I was in agony on the couch in a dark room the first six months I was in after the auto accident.)

You need to go to someone called an audiologist to get the custom molds done. You can discuss with them what you are using them for and you can get different inserts/filters for a small fee that can alter their effect on your hearing. IE: The filters can reduce the sound in terms of dB (volume), so you can have one filter to reduce the sound by 15 dB or another filter to reduce it by 25dB.

The appointment with the audiologist may cost $150 out of pocket and the earplugs may cost about the same with a couple of extra filters and depending on what area you live in. Most insurance companies won't cover these costs at all since it's not really medically necessary....

If you go with the cutom-molded plugs, I recommend you get a few filters so you can swap them out during the intermission if you don't like them at a certain level.

Start with a 25dB reduction and go down from there. It's better to have too much protection than to get overwhelmed with too little because it will probably drain your energy.

The filters are tiny, so you should probably only swap them out in the restroom or lobby during the show since the auditorium you'll be sitting in will most likely have dim or changing lighting.

If you have any sensitivity to moving/changing lights, or if you get overwhelmed to a lot stimulation then you should prepare yourself to sit down and close your eyes while still enjoying the music.

I used to attend and work countless shows before the accident I was in and now I'm not really able to, but I've gone to a few since the accident I was in and closing my eyes helped a lot. I also left a couple earlier than I would have liked too.

Another friend of one who sustained a concussion had to leave a show early once too.

As disappointing as this may seem to do, it might be the best option at the moment... so it's something to consider or be prepared for beforehand.

There are also these cheaper earplugs that I highly recommend for anyone attending a show regardless of whether they are recovering from a concussion or not:

http://www.etymotic.com/hp/er20.html

They don't cut out the high end so you can enjoy the show and they protect your hearing. (Most concerts are way too loud for even able-bodied and healthy people and once your hearing goes, there is no restoring it, so protect it while you still have it!)

I'm also curious who you're going to see!

Depending on the genre of music, there may be other variables you may want to prepare for, like a rowdy crowd, etc..

I wish you the best of luck and a great time at your upcoming show!!
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
arayuq (01-06-2014), Msudawg89 (01-06-2014)