Thread: Spinal Surgery
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 10:32 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default It's ok to be afraid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
Hello, my name is Grace. I got on this website because of Tardive Dyskenesia Dystonia.
But in 3 weeks I am having serious back surgery by a neurospinal surgeon. They intend to go in, and release the impinged sciatic nerve by boring a bigger opening. Then they are doing a fusion because S1 is cracked. The sciatic nerve has been a problem so long, the pain doctors do not want to do anymore epidurals.
I would appreciate some feedback. This is serious, dangerous things they are doing.
Admit I am afraid.
I had my first laminectomy, bone graft and spinal fusion when I was 16, it gave me 15 years of back pain free life, sure I had other things go wrong, but the fusion of L4 and L5 was pretty solid. Over time, other things wore it down and to be fair, I probably pushed it to its limits with being out and about travelling and all the things a unpunished adult does. It came to a head when I was 30 and the pain excruciating and the beginning of a downward spiral along with the other things that had been troubling me in those intervening years.

It's no good worrying about what might come out of it, try and be be positive, it's ok to be frightened, use the fear to be sure you read up on everything and are prepared to look after yourself after the procedure. I'm sure many of us on here regret doing things that in hindsight we realise exacerbated our initial problem. That doesn't mean you can't get out there and live a life.

I have been ill on and off all my life, in between illnesses I have done and achieved amazing things, travelled the world, won awards, experienced different ways of life and loved and been loved. None if which would have been possible of it had not been for my first spinal fusion at 16 after falling from my horse. Of course they found it would have been needed anyway many years later as I had an undiagnosed underlying problem, but up until then, I was a junior state athlete champion and had my own horse and enjoyed a full on childhood/ teenager life. No regrets.

Tell your Dr you are afraid, find out what you need post surgery and be sure you have it along with people who will help you in your recovery. You will need help for a minimum of 6 weeks just to do the small things like wash your hair, run a bath, wash clothes. Fold and out them away, put the dishes away, clean the house, make the bed, all things we do and take for granted. If they offer to put you in rehab post surgery and you can afford it, seriously consider it.

Good luck, I've had 5 major back operations including fusions. The procedures themselves went well and if had not been for other problems arising all would have been well. My first two fusions gave me a combined 30 years of great living.
PamelaJune is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (01-10-2014)