View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 11:41 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Dear Soccortese,

I understand your concerns. As far as your representation,....... I too, thought there would be more involvement and interaction between atty and client. I have since learned that the common practice is to just gather info and then about a week or two before an ALJ hearing, the atty will review your file, maybe meet with you to discuss the soon to be held hearing, and the rest of the time, they just wait. This is common practice, not just YOUR representative. Most work exactly the same way. Wish I had known that up front as I would have had different expectations and less disappointment.

Another common practice is not to second guess SS and offer an opinion. If they do and things don't work out as projected, we would be on their case. Most attys will not take a case they feel has NO chance of winning as they are not going to devote any time to something that will not generate any income for them. They are paid out of your award benefits up to a maximum of $6000. The only items you will have to pay "out of pocket" will be for fees for obtaining medical records, postage, etc. Some attys charge the client for travel expenses to a hearing (gas), parking, etc. You were probably given a fee agreement to sign which is submitted to SS for their approval. It usually indicates the percentage of award benefits that will be paid to your atty and stipulates the max of $6000 from your benefits.

During your wait in the appeal process, your atty may obtain medical source statements from your treating physicians. Having your docs know that you have applied and that they are in agreement to assist you is extremely helpful.

One word of caution is terminology. Be sure you understand the terminology that is being used as there is much confusion over it.

There are many here with extensive info on disability that will be coming to your aid.

Good luck to you. I will be keeping an eye on your thread to see if there is anything I can offer in way of assistance.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
soccertese (01-08-2014)