View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 05:48 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Alcoholic Neuropathy or not?!!

I am at a complete loss and hoping for some informative responses from those if you who have more experience. For over a year now, I have been experiencing extreme coldness in my hands and feet along with numbness, sometimes stabbing pains in my feet, a weakening in my leg muscles (nothing that prevents me from normal activity, but enough to restrict my usual exercise levels), sometimes puffiness under the eyes, irritability and constipation.

It ebbs and flows. I had 3 local doctors diagnose me with Sjogrens. After a trip to Johns Hopkins Sjogrens Center, a lip biopsy did not show evidence of Sjogrens. So now I am back to ground zero.

I made some lifestyle changes back in July when things got really bad, i.e. gluten free, alcohol free, restrictive sugar and caffeine, meat free, watching my mercury intake, taking B complexes, Bentofiamine, Alpha Lipoic acid, etc. While the symptoms did not continue to get any worse, I certainly did not see dramatic improvements.

SOOOOO...over the course of a 5 day trip to Colorado with my family over the holidays, I shared an Irish decaf coffee with my hubby one day, a weak margarita one night, a hot chocolate and Bailey's another day and a vodka/soda our last night there.

My feet are definitely more numb this week. My husband swears it is the extreme cold but I am thinking it is alcohol neuropathy. Back when this all started, I told my doctor my drinking can be excessive...three glasses of wine a night and getting crazy when we go out on the weekends. He did not seem to think that was the cause. I have had numerous blood tests and my liver, kidneys, B vitamins, Folic Acid, glucose, etc. are all well within normal levels.

How do I know if it is alcohol neuropathy? If that is what it is, what is the effect of an occasional drink??

Thank you so much for your attention. There is not a whole lot of detailed information out there on this!!!

Cat1234
cat1234 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote