View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 12:07 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I've taken 4 years of Spanish including a semester of Spanish lit. No such thing as college level Spanish. It just takes a lot of memorization. Don't try to memorize alone. Study with others speaking Spanish out loud. Your brain needs to hear you and others speak as much as possible.

If it is your first chem class, it is just an honors chem class. Don't psych yourself out with 'college' labels.

Your bigger challenge is the need to do mental gymnastics in chem and Spanish. If you are still thinking in English, learning more Spanish will be a struggle. Trying to translate Spanish to English and English to Spanish is difficult for an injured brain. Getting over the "thinking in Spanish" hump will make a big difference. Think of the Spanish terms as concepts, not words.

Record your work and play it back as background sounds when you are relaxing. Play it at low volume so your mind sort of melts into it. You will be surprised at how you can memorize the information this way. You may be able to get someone at your school to make MP3's of it as part of their help.

You will retain the information best if you learn it under low stress with lots of these low stress repetitions. The 'study hard' system does not work for us. It actually does not work well for healthy brains, either.

I used this soft memorization technique very successfully. Don't push your brain. Just listen over and over.

Stay up on B-12, a B-complex, D3, vit C and vit E. Omega oils will also be good.

Don't let anybody push Adderal or Stratera on you. Bad news.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote