View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 12:46 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

You have 4 credits for each year of 2008 2009. Even if the more recent years from 2010 through 2013 are "negligible", if about $1000, in any one year, you could have earned at least one credit. I would have to check the exact amounts to earn a credit for those particular years but I think it is around $1000 per credit.

You only have 60 days to appeal so I would ask your representative to calculate your credits based on your tax returns and determine if you will qualify by having sufficient credits. That is the FIRST hurdle to conquer. Everything else is a mute point if you are not insured under SSA.

Trying to look at the bright side, you are nearing early retirement age, so that might be something to consider if disability benefits are not an option. Medicare coverage is not far off in your future either because of your age. Trying to make ends meet from now until you are 62 if disability benefits are not in your future may mean that you will need to continue to earn whatever you can under your circumstances and at your own pace. If you could earn about $4000 per year over the next few years, you would meet the credits needed, maybe have more medical documentation, and be able to file a new claim. Disability benefits revert to retirement upon reaching full retirement age but you could still file for disability until then. Based on your current age, I am guessing full retirement for you would be between 66 and 67. I don't have the chart in front of me.

Do you have enough credits (40) for "retirement" at 62? That may be your best option if you do not have the needed credits for disability and are unable to earn more credits between now and age 62.

Good luck to you.

One other comment about disability...... just because you may not be able to do your former work, or same type of work without additional training, you could be found to be able to do "other" work that does not require training and is something you would be capable of with your condition. If you can type at a computer, have worked from home, they may find that you are still capable of gainful work. I am not saying that you are, I am saying that is a possible outcome on your disability claim. If you find that you can continue to pursue your disability claim having earned the appropriate amount of credits, be sure to check out some of the disability info on the stickies here and info on the internet under disability secrets.

Earn anything you can and are capable of if possible to get the credits you will need if you want to apply for disability later under a new claim in future year. Just my opinion. If you can not earn anything any longer, consider taking early retirement at 62.

First check out your true credits based on your tax returns. Talk with your attorney.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
soccertese (01-09-2014)