View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 07:58 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default A much better Holiday season than last year

I was diagnosed with MG in Sept 09. For the first three years, I did pretty well with only minor bouts of fatigue and with some speech problems . I was put on 60 Mg of Mestinon daily and it worked for me .
However just before Christmas 2012 . my complacency was shattered .Within days , I could talk only for a few minutes before my speech slurred ; I couldn't reach up to a shelf to get a glass and I would just collapse on the ground with no warning .and I was totally fatigued all the time ..So much for having this insidious disease under control .
My neueo ( very knowledgeable ) put me on Prednisone 60 Mg daily and Cellcept 250 Mg twice daily . I did begin to improve slowly over a few weeks , but decided to try IVIG as I'd read that it could cause rapid improvement I had a week of IVIG treatments at the local hospital ...Unfortunately , for me , there was no noticable improvement ,. But hey , for a $ 90,000 charge what can you expect ! Fortunately my insurance paid most of the cost.Whew !! The Prednisone did begin to work but with many of the unpleasant side effects ..eg ..weight gain... moon face ..easy bruising , etc .
Today I'm back to my early status ..mild fatiguing only .I'm down to 2.5 Mg of Prednisone ,and still on the Cell Cept ,and I think the CellCept is now fully effective . With MG things can get worse , but they can get better and I'm so very thankful to be where I am ..
Jack
Rowejack is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
cait24 (01-09-2014), sandy56 (01-09-2014), southblues (01-11-2014)