View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 09:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Possible answer

Saw a neurologist today..he seems to think my neuropathy is not systemic but is coming from a slopped up surgery. He looked at my MRI after surgery and pointed out that I still had a badly bulging disc. He set me up for a bunch of blood work and will schedule more extensive EMG tests soon..The fact that all my symptoms were asymetric points him to a pinched nerve from a disc...It is amazing just how right the members of this group are
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineD View Post
Steph70,

I'm not an expert, and I'm sure that many people here will be able to tell you more than I can.

But I don't think there is a 'normal progression' of polyneuropathy. It isn't even possible to know what 'might happen' until you know what is causing it.

Poly neuropathy means that several kind of nerves are affected (as opposed to mono neuropathy) which is one kind of nerve damaged.

Most neuropathies are related to an underlying cause (damage, disease or genetic defect).

However, in a fairly high percentage of cases the cause of the neuropathy is unknown. Then it is called idiopathic, which means of unknown cause.

I have idiopathic poly neuropathy, which seems to be limited to my feet and legs.

But since I don't know what caused it, and it was profound when it was diagnosed, I don't know if it will stay where it is, or spread.

However, in the 4 years since it was first diagnosed, it hasn't affected other parts of my body.

I don't know for sure, but for most of us, we learn to live with a fairly high degree of uncertainty about progression, and often even about cause.

The fact that your polyneuropathy is asymmetric seems unusual to me. I look forward to others posting.

Hugs, Elaine
Steph70 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote