View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

OP--

Attorneys for SSI/SSDI cases can only be paid out of a portion of your backpay. They have little incentive to put in much work until you've racked up some significant backpay. What you're experiencing is not unusual. I generally think it's a bad idea to hire one this early on. A compromise is to go with a non-attorney rep--they are often former SS employees. Allsup is an example ofsuch a company.

If you choose to fire them, they can still request part of the eventual % of attorney fees. It would be best to get them to release you by being a PITA... A new attorney or service will not want to have to split their fee.

You can ammend you Alleged Onset Date of disability. If you can prove a major reduction of monthly billings, so long the billings were below the SGA level for that year, that would be a date to choose. If you have any communications in writing with clients that you recommend they make other arrangements due to your failing health, that might help.

Did you stop driving or hire someone to clean your home, run errands, etc. during any period? Did your meds increase? Did you discontinue any activities from a decline in health?

The issue with back payments came up a few years back in a thread and I believe it was compared at the time as getting the opportunity to pay an insurance policy years later after when a health problem pops up. Is it unfortunate in your case, especially since you've been ill such a long time? Yes. But I don't believe exceptions are made.

Regarding age issues, once you are over 55 you qualify in the "advanced age" category for the grid rules: http://www.ultimatedisabilityguide.com/grid_rules.html
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote