View Single Post
Old 01-11-2014, 10:29 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default reasons for a long term study

Oxfordbiomedica have been trying to partner with big pharma for prosavin for years however the risk of gene therapy has proven a significant hurdle to date as well as the risk of the placebo effect, DBS, etc.

Yes, the risk of gene therapy is a major hurdle for Prosavin. It is a lentiviral based gene therapy. Lentiviral vectors integrate into host DNA and are expressed like any host gene. I donot think Prosavin is any different than the conventional lenti viral vectors. This means, once Prosavin is injected into a patient, genes of interest and the viral vector are a part of patients DNA in cells it gets into.

This is both good and bad news. If it works, you will have all the enzymes you need to make dopamine forever and can be considered a cure.

The uncertain part is that we dont know the long term effects of a viral DNA inserted into your own DNA in neuronal cells. There is no way to pull it out if something goes wrong. If I remember correctly, several years ago, a few patients treated with mouse version of an integrating virus (muLV) created some problems, (I cannot recall all the details, sorry.)>I am sure Oxford Biomedica is aware of this, and probably one of the reasons for a long term study.

girija
girija is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anagirl (01-12-2014), Aunt Bean (01-13-2014), lab rat (01-14-2014), olsen (01-12-2014), soccertese (01-12-2014)