View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 09:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi liz! First of all, sorry that you are having to deal with CRPS. I have had RSD/CRPS for 23 years now. I had two SCS's implanted in Jun 2011, cervical and thoracic. I had a revision on the thoracic one in November 2011 (changed to paddle lead and battery moved to right, front side). I just had both units removed on Thursday because they were no longer effective, the thoracic leads migrated again, the battery that was moved was now twisted and hurting me and I had lower back pain/spasms when they were on. I am no longer able to work as I have nothing to help me with pain or with functioning better.

I had St Jude stimulators and they told me that the batteries should last 10 years. There is no way they can guarantee you with 100% pain relief and/or returned functionality, that is not realistic. When I had mine implanted, they told me that they shoot for at least 50% and to me 50% improvement is huge. Even though I just had mine removed, I do not regret getting them. You see, I have RSD/CRPS in my face, hands, shoulders, feet, left leg and left arm. I could barely use my hands and I was a finance and hr manager...had to use my hands constantly. With the SCS's, I was able to get thru another 1 1/2 years of work...I would not have made it without them.

The good thing about the SCS is that you can have a trial to see if it will work for you. Since I have RSD/CRPS on both sides, upper and lower, they decided to do the trial on my left side. It was a good idea because I could compare one side to the other and I got 80% relief. Getting the SCS(s) is a last resort. We exhausted all other options and I cannot tolerate ANY of the medications used to treat RSD/CRPS symptoms or pain. You must be aware of the risks when you have RSD/CRPS and having any procedure done, you risk spread. I took that risk as I felt the benefits outweighed the risks. I don't say this to scare you, but to give you things to think about.

I know there are so many horror stories out there and when I was researching it I focused on the positive stories. I relied heavily on this site and the info I found here. I asked questions here and MANY questions to my dr until I was comfortable with MY decision...which is what you need to do. I cannot and will not advise you to or not to it, I can only share my story with you. However, I would advise you to exhaust all other options as this is invasive and make sure you are 100% comfortable with your decision...and with your doctor.

I hope this makes sense...I am still recovering from surgery

I wish you all the best,
Nanc
Nanc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (01-26-2014), ger715 (01-26-2014), Mark56 (01-13-2014), Rrae (01-18-2014)