Thread: Newbie!
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 09:45 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default My journey through PN - may help

Hi there! I was fortunate to meet a neurologist who put me onto Intragam as soon as she discovered my condition - virtually no reflexes in hands and feet (which have dropped) so I was tripping over my big toe!
Anyway, Intragam is a blood by product which protects nerve endings from any nasties while they regrow. It is by infusion so I go to hospital once a month for 3 hours to have it done. I go as a public patient and it is no cost to me. I also have private health cover just in case.
Doctor tested for all sorts of dormant viruses initially which may have contributed to PN but I was clear. Had 3 lots of B12 injections to and this did help so do get your B12 levels checked out. Also I found that cutting down on sugar and eating mandarins and peanuts was good for me. Peanuts have nutrients which aid nerve impulses. My Neurologist gives me 18months for full recovery and I am 11 months down the track. I went through a very wobbly period but got through it. Rest and be kind to yourself. I find that not even my family fully understand the level of pain or effort you are putting in to every smile. Best wishes!
aggie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote