View Single Post
Old 01-13-2014, 04:13 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Aunt Bean-

The 20 below was rare even then which is why i remembered it. i was about ten years old as I recall. As for countering it, a big old Warm Morning Stove and a big pile of wood did a good job.

If these temps become the norm you might want to think about the possibility of a shelter like people do for tornados. Sort of a big tent inside an inner bedroom that you could sleep warmly in as well as light cooking. Don't heat it with an open flame or fuel in general. Far too dangerous. Instead, borrow the idea of the Native Ams and the sweat lodge. A little red wagon to haul a couple of large rocks (NOT from a river or lake as they will explode!) from a safe fire location outside or a properly maintained indoor fireplace into the big tent. Those rocks can get so ht that they glow for hours and will still be too hot to touch the next morning so think it through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bean View Post
Rick...you actually had -20 here? Wow...I don't remember it getting down even to 0 in PA...maybe too young to notice. We probably had better insulated homes and a good heat system. The house here wouldn't get above 58 degrees for a whole day and I finally turned off the heat pump...which seemed to just bring in more cold air and used the small electric heaters we have. I lived in my coat indoors. Managed to get plastic up over 2 doors that didn't need used...and the house came up a good 5 degrees. The greenhouse was about the same as outside temp...the favas are still alive today...not real perky, but alive!
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote