View Single Post
Old 01-13-2014, 12:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Elaine,

I have heard of ADT, but don't believe you escape the all side-effects of long term use with this therapy.

I completely understand your position at your age...and might choose that path myself if I was that age.

I have had steroids on/off for the last 17 years and I can say it DOESN'T take years to get the negative side-effects. I had osteoporosis within just a couple years (by 34), and got my titanium knee (which I attribute to steroids) in less then 6 years. I am only 49 (but that will change tomorrow--lol) and have (had for years) paper thin skin, swollen fat pads on the collar bone (typical of cushings) and I'm pre-diabetic...all thanks to steroids. I also had bilateral avascular necrosis of the hips in less then 2 years of the first steroid dose (but it was a higher dose).

Sure the rewards from steroids are great, but the price is high in the end. I'm still paying the price and I haven't taken oral daily steroids in many years.

It's obvious you have an inflammatory process since you get such immediate relief with the steroids. But I would wait to see how you do for a while before changing this dosing...it has only been a month. Your body is still adjusting to the IVIG and the steroids.

That being said, I still get an IV dose of steroids with my IVIG every month (to avert reactions). But i won't take daily oral steroids again, if I can help it.
en bloc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote