View Single Post
Old 01-13-2014, 02:28 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Trust me, I have had my moments of asking (maybe even begging) for steroids, just to get through a tough spot/time. There are times that it is really necessary also.

The amount I get now isn't small, but just one dose every month. I would not be able to handle the IVIG without it. I also get a typical full immune response about 48 hours after the infusion.

I think your dose is small and likely manageable. Just watch for signs and get regular bone density scans, blood glucose etc to make sure the status doesn't change.

Funny you mention the opioids. They do NOT destroy the body like steroids...but of course are highly addictive. I have to have something for pain (and have tried cymbalta, lyrica, neurontin...ALL of the others without success), so opted for NO daily steroids and to use small amounts of Percocet. There is a down side to every option and you're right...doctors struggle with either of these options. I'm hoping I can stay at small doses for a long time (have already gone 2.5 years and still not over 5mg a dose). I fully expect that my pain mgmt/meds will progress over time...I just hope it will be slow. Had a long talk with my doctor about the use of these...and the need for RESPECT of a drug like this. Actually ALL drugs need to be respected for many different reasons... (statins, BP drugs, antibiotics...EVERYTHING).

I think you all looking at this in a reasonable way. I would just give it a little time before making changes.
en bloc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote