View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 12:32 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you Snoopy for your response and for providing those resources - any information at all helps.

He has been diagnosed with PTSD, however his medical "care" is subject to the whims of worker's comp insurance. His injury happened at work, and the insurance company has no interest in providing him with appropriate medical care within a reasonable time frame. This adds to his fears of never recovering, and adds to our stress as every option for treatment seems just out of reach. His primary physician is working to pursue various assessments and treatment options, but every request they make has to go through a gauntlet of insurance company nonsense, and most things are denied as a matter of policy, and we are told simply to request them again.

"PTSD can literally be a living hell. PTSD can encompass every aspect of your life.

It can cause anxiety/panic attacks, thoughts of suicide, distancing yourself from family and friends, fear, flashbacks, insomnia, agoraphobia, unable to feel emotion, depression, lack of trust, feeling unsafe, your fight/flight/freeze reaction is always on or exaggerated, unable to relax, Dissociation, cognitive difficulties such as processing, an exaggerated startle response, and so much more."

This rings painfully true...

My partner is an exceptionally articulate and intelligent man, and he has on many occasions described nearly everything you mention. I've personally observed anxiety/panic attacks, distancing behavior, fear, flashbacks, insomnia, agoraphobia...the list goes on. He used to be an extrovert, always happy to be out and about, socially engaged. Now he is fearful of social situations, and he has tried to explain to me how he feels that he is not processing/feeling emotion. We are painfully aware of the effects of this on our relationship, and I am trying to keep these things in mind as we cope with the day-to-day.

I'm afraid he is very good at masking his symptoms/mental state at any given time however, and I often misjudge his frame of mind or ability to engage in conversation or problem-solving. I am struggling to maintain a sense of connection with him, and I am at a loss most days as to what, if anything, I can do to help.