View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 10:55 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Trying to determine if I suffered brain damage in addition to preexisting HPPD

Hi everyone! First post here.

I'm currently enduring a pretty severe case of neurological impairment/dysfunction and I'm trying to understand what's going on as best as I can. I was hoping you guys might have some insights.

I've just gotten into quite a panic after considering an incident I had earlier this year. I've been primarily convinced that my issues are related to HPPD (Hallucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder), though this incident has always been on my mind to some extent I suppose. I suffered from acute hyponatraemia at a festival I went to in January: it was incredibly hot, so I was drinking a lot of water (and only water, I was 100% sober the whole time). When I got quite a bad headache, of course I've been told all my life that water's the best solution, so I kept on drinking :S. After jumping around for a bit at a concert, I left and had a tonic-clonic seizure, accompanied by falling over and hitting my head. The next 12 or so hours are missing from memory save what I've been told and blurry pieces here and there. A couple found me and took me to the paramedics, I can recall having very slurred speech and laboured comprehension interacting with them. They didn't really stick around to describe what had happened very thoroughly which is unfortunate. Apparently I was very dazed and out of it. I "woke up" in the ER, while peeing for a drug test managed to drop the bottle of **** all over the floor before falling asleep again, so I guess that's an indicator of how gone I was at the time. I'm really not sure just how adequate the initial treatment was because they'd assumed it was all because I'd taken drugs (I hadn't) and were trying to "flush anything out" before treating whatever else. They tested my vision and I had a blindspot in the left field where I couldn't see the torch they were holding. This lead to me being kept in the hospital over the weekend (not a fun time). When I got out, people were telling me for a couple of weeks that I still didn't seem completely with it.

What's followed has been a year of hell, of course, but I don't know what role that episode has played.

Of course, at the time I was already experiencing pretty unpleasant HPPD (hallucinogen persisting perception disorder). I really can't remember too well how different life was before and after the incident, save that it was really shitty all around.

I had an MRI and EEG at the time which weren't remarkable save for a slight white spot on the MRI in the upper-right (really not sure exactly where and don't have the scans on me at the moment) "consistent with having bumped my head" which I was assured was mild and would recover quickly. I'm aware though that a lot of brain damage just can't be picked up by typical scans and now I'm fretting that I'm not only looking at HPPD but also an undetectable TBI.

I guess I'm just hoping for some insight and reassurance here... How likely it is that the whole episode did result in brain damage, how extensive it could potentially be, any way I could have it tested, treatment options, etc. I've got a follow up appointment with a neuro in March...I know there's not really all that much I can do. HPPD and TBI have relatively different treatment options and I just don't know which I should be primarily pursuing. I've been out of school and work for over a year now with little sign of things getting much better and it's incredibly difficult to not know if I'll ever be anywhere near my old self again.

Sorry for the gloomy first post! Thanks so much for reading this.
Puppeteer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote