View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 11:45 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD
I could see Maya doing this...she loves to play with me and do complex things. But I wouldn't have a clue as to how to train her.

IME training methods with pets aren't much different than learning methods with people in that what works for one pet may/may not work for another, so it's worth trying different techniques/methods until we figure out what motivates each pet.

Ol' Furface loves to learn but the same technique doesn't always work for each task.

I'm not up on current theory about cats' attention spans, but working with a dog for 10 minutes twice a day (per task) seems most effective. If we push them too hard, they get bored/tired/disinterested/frustrated, which can be counterproductive.

The (ahem) 'trick' is to keep trying/try different methods until something clicks (if it's going to).

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (01-14-2014)