View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 02:36 PM
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I don't know if strengthening is the best way to go if you are still having pain levels higher than 3 or so..

If you can get the scalenes released & relaxed it will be easier to bring the shoulders back where they should be.

*make sure any possible trigger points are resolved too*

The way I understand it. Can't recall where it saw or read this... but it made sense to me.

tight frontal muscles (scalenes etc) = over stretched upper back muscles

So trying to strengthen an overstretched muscle will only make the front muscles clamp down more..

This is a loose plan similar to what my chiro & the best PTs did for me.. I also spent a lot of time doing self care at home..

These steps all take time, may even take months or longer for best outcome..

1. check & treat any trigger points ( can't stretch or relax a muscle fully if there are trigger points in it.)

2. the tight muscles must be relaxed /resolved before the next step
*may require ultra sound, low level laser, IF stim, massage, deep tissue work... probably need a pro for this part so you can be relaxed and passive for best results.

3. If low pain /symptoms you can slowly add some light activities & light strengthening ( back off if any increase in pain or symptoms)

4. If all goes well slowly add more activities and as always be aware of posture and possible overdoing of activities..

5. Keep hydrated- to keep those tissues moist and to flush out the toxins..

6. If after time you feel normal, wait another month or 2 before fully getting back into normal mode.. often we feel better but will have a set back due to overdoing..

If you have high pain it will take longer to see improvements.

If you have a direct nerve compression vs slight impingements and sticky tissues/muscle, this may not help much.
Or if there is internal scar tissue, I don't enough about it's properties.

Years ago a DC posted this, it only takes a slight bit of pressure or resistance on a nerve to make it complain.
"Thanks for this!" says:
elap (01-14-2014), Sea Pines 50 (01-25-2014)