View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 04:10 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanc View Post
My drs were convinced that I had celiac. I have been tested several time and the results were always negative. My primary dr and I decided that I should try going gluten free so I did. I did this several years ago and noticed much improvement. I removed gluten 100%...EVERYTHING I use is GF, toothpaste, medications, soaps, lotions, make up, shampoo, hair products, etc. You need to make sure you are doing this as well otherwise you are not truly gluten free. Some say that using gluten containing products topically is fine, you will not react to it. I do not believe that at all because I break out in a terrible rash if I use something containing gluten on my skin. I think they say 60% of what you put on your skin is absorbed...seems to me that would cause a reaction.

I know that in order to be tested for celiac, you cannot be gluten free. You have to be ingesting gluten for the results to be more accurate, not sure that is worth going thru all the pain and aggravation for a test. It is great that you have found some relief!!

Good luck,
Nanc
Hi Nanc - Thanks for responding! I know about not going GF for testing. After 4-5 mo. GF, I went back on it for the test for 3 miserable weeks. Near the end of 3 wks. I got REAL sick with a Noro-virus and thought I was going to die. I at first thought it was because of eating gluten again after being off it, and was freaking out. I won't eat it again for any test- just causes me too much pain.

My meds are GF, I have NO gluten containing foods in my house, but haven't explored the bath and beauty stuff. I even avoid the bread, pasta and cereal aisles in the grocery stores. I make my own soap, so that's not an issue. I know of GF toothpaste I can get, but how can you check for gluten in shampoos and cosmetics? I rarely wear makeup, but do use anti-aging creams, etc. Can you suggest some brands or products for me to check out?

Again - thanks so much for your reply!
Lara (01-14-2014), Nanc (01-14-2014)