View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 05:15 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifthespiritmovesme View Post
Hi Nanc - Thanks for responding! I know about not going GF for testing. After 4-5 mo. GF, I went back on it for the test for 3 miserable weeks. Near the end of 3 wks. I got REAL sick with a Noro-virus and thought I was going to die. I at first thought it was because of eating gluten again after being off it, and was freaking out. I won't eat it again for any test- just causes me too much pain.

My meds are GF, I have NO gluten containing foods in my house, but haven't explored the bath and beauty stuff. I even avoid the bread, pasta and cereal aisles in the grocery stores. I make my own soap, so that's not an issue. I know of GF toothpaste I can get, but how can you check for gluten in shampoos and cosmetics? I rarely wear makeup, but do use anti-aging creams, etc. Can you suggest some brands or products for me to check out?

Again - thanks so much for your reply!
Sorry you got so sick! Glad you know about the testing, I did not know about that until I went to a new gastro dr for testing. He said at that point there was no need to test me, if I was feeling better off gluten, just keep going with it. I was fine with that. When I get accidently glutened, it is not pretty! My husband is not GF, so there is gluten in our house. It is way too expensive for our house to be completely GF. I have RSD and many other issues, I cannot prepare meals very well. He can only use one hand/arm, so he doesn't cook either. We are VERY careful not to cross contaminate, his food is separate from mine, I have a separate toaster, colanders, etc.

As far as bath and beauty products go, I have searched online and found a lot of info. There are some lists online that lists names of ingredients that you need to also look for...I will look for those for you. The Body Shop has a GF list that they will email you if you request it. If there is not a store near you, they do have a website. The shampoo I use is DermOrganic, it is labeled as GF. You can find it online or at Ulta. I found a huge bottle of it at TJMaxx for $19.99 and the first bottle I bought at Ulta was $18.99 for 1/3 the size! If you are near a Whole Foods, they have a lot of GF products in their cosmetic dept - lotions, creams, shampoos, hair styling products and the staff there is so helpful! I use either Peter Rabbit or California Baby body lotions (baby lotions) because they are more gentle and I am also allergic to shea, as well as some other ingredients. I find them at Whole Foods and Target.

I do not wear make up any longer, too hard to apply with RSD in my hands. It amazes me that gluten can be in everything though!!
Nanc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (01-16-2014)