View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 12:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

easy peasy - tell airline (call ahead of time and re-verify them at counter) that you need to "Gate check" your scooter. *You will need to tell them make/model/color and battery type*

You ride it to the gate (yes, you will patted down at security and scooter swabbed for explosives). At the gate you ride your scooter until they take you to aircraft door (some jetways let you ride right up to plane doorway) then you walk to your seat. If you can't walk to your seat they will need to use an aisle chair (those wee skinny wheelchair like devices that go down plane center aisles).

The scooter gets taken from jetway/gate to the plane belly where they will put it inside the cargo hold. Make sure (!!!) an airline rep/agent puts a tag on your scooter (just like luggage strip/tag on your suitcase). They usually also put on a wheelchair/fragile tag with your flight info.

Tips: secure all loops or cords/wires (I use a ziptie); remove anything that can come off/get snagged & carry onboard (i.e. a gel filled seat cushion, removeable legs, etc). *The bag of gear does not count against your carry on allowance since it is disability related equipment, so don't fret about that.

Put a bright flag of some sort (yarn?) on your "release" handle so they can free-wheel push your scooter. Turn off and you keep the key. The yarn/flag will help the baggage crew know where the release handle is, since scooters models are different. *take a copy of your key just in case they make you leave your key in scooter, as they can get lost/stuck in a pocket and forgotten etc.

I also put my own personal luggage tag with my cellphone number on my wheelchair/scooter that I feel confident won't get ripped loose - I use zipties to attach it to a frame piece. Take a cell phone photo of your chair/scooter before you turn it over to gate check -just in case there is any possible damage. While "oops" handling can happen, most come thru fine.

Do reverse at arrival. Be aware you will get loaded first and also get off plane last (in fact it can take a fair bit of time to see your scooter again at arrival) so make sure to allow for lots of time if transfering flights.

Have a great time!!!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
jprinz99 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (01-15-2014), DizzyLizzy (01-15-2014), Erika (01-24-2014), SallyC (01-15-2014)