View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 09:22 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

puppeteer,

I saw your list in the quoted paragraph but you posted them like a laundry list taken from an internet search, not a list of personally experienced and identified symptoms. If they are your current symptoms, please list each individually and include how that symptom is manifesting in your daily life. Everybody experiences these symptoms from time to time. It is when we experience them is ways that are more frequent, chronic, and intense that they become a symptom of concussion. You do not state what symptoms pre-existed and are likely due to the HPPD beyond a casual reference.

The jumble thoughts and speech are often linked to stressful activities or environments.

Personally, I have experienced many times where I had limited cognitive functions compared to my functions at time of peak performance. My concussion history goes back to 1965 with multiple deep valleys of academic/cognitive performance followed by returns to very good or excellent academic and cognitive performance. For example, one year post injury, I scored 650 on the Math SAT. A year later with absolutely no math courses in the prior year, I scored 700. My verbal score stayed the same.

btw, Most of my WAIS-II (Wechsler Adult Intelligent Scale version II) scores put me in the top 1 or 2 %. My memory scales put me in the bottom 5 to 12%. My processing speed is at 25% or as low as 10%. There is such a drastic difference between my WAIS scores and my memory scores that the two Neuro Psychs doing the assessments believe than I faked the memory scores. This is despite scoring 48 and 49 out of 50 on the two validity (malingering) tests scales. A subject would need to score under 37 to be considered a malingerer/faker. I almost Aced the validity scales.

Since then, I have come to realize that my verbal understanding is far better than my verbal expression, especially in stressful situations. This is likely due to my history of concussions. My struggles with word finding limits my expressive ability in spontaneous or immediate situations but not in the long term. I have many work arounds for dealing with my word finding struggles.

You writing and verbal expression skills can be restored with practice. I find that I do best with a keyboard and computer screen. I did not have access to this aid when it would have helped me academically. You are fortunate to live in the computer age. I use the screen as my verbal memory. I can easily reread my thoughts to restart the chain of thought. I can edit and make all combinations of verbal gymnastics as I work to get my ideas into print.

I have even gone so far as to connect multiple screens to my computer so I need not cascade different windows of information as I work. If I hide a window behind my working document, I easily forget where the information was sourced. By having what I call digital spread sheet (sheets of digital text spread across multiple computer screens), I can quickly scan from my working document to the multiple pages of information. I have used up to three screens at a time.

I start writing freestyle with little attention to format, grammar, or organizational structure. Then, I go back and start editing with cut and paste to set an understandable order to the information. Finally, I edit for grammar and ease of understanding. These are all things that I would have been able to do in my head if it could remember all the information and sort and organize it as it did in my high functioning past. It takes a bit longer but I think the end result is actually better. I have become intimately familiar with Control X (cut), Control C (copy) and Control V (Paste).

Spell check has also become a good friend. I just need a spell check dictionary with more 50 cent words. Google works for the complex words.

I see you are not taking any B-12 specifically. A B complex rarely has adequate B-12 or even B-6. A vegetarian diet (yours is a limited pescatarian or pescavegitarian diet due to the fish oil) is lacking in many Essential Amino Acids/Essential Fatty Acids with Branched Chain Amino Acids almost totally absent. They can only be found in meat protein with pork the best for BCAA's.

You also have not told us about your timeline. How old were you when you developed HPPD ? Was it due to drug abuse or some other factor ? How old were you when the seizures started with the likely concussion ? How long ago was that ? What is you history of using intoxicants (age, type, intensity, frequency) Do you or did you participate in contact sports with head impacts of any frequency or intensity ? These all play in to how your body responds. Brain insults during the adolescent years can be especially problematic because the brain is working overtime just to handle the rapid maturing factors on all fronts. This can extend into the early 20's.

As you said, fretting isn't going to change anything but even more, fretting about something in the past that would not have made a difference is all negative with zero positive value. Low sodium due to water intoxication is temporary. Unless you have chronic hyponatraemia, acute hyponatraemia tends to be self-correcting to a point.

From what I've read, the dangerous acute hyponatraemia is that which results in coma that is not treated to restore sodium levels. It sounds like your seizure may have been a response to your hyponatraemia and as you got past the acute phase, your body started to balance out because your water intake was curtailed.

I can understand some of the medical care you received, especially after you dropped the UA sample. Many would attribute this to an attempt to conceal UA evidence. I can't blame the medical personnel from making this wrong assumption. They see patients' skillful avoidance techniques routinely.

btw, It will help if you put a double paragraph space every 5 or 6 lines so those of us with visual tracking problems can follow what you post.

I have already likely given you a fire hose dose. Sorry for that. I am passionate about your situation since I experienced very similar struggles except mine were all due to physical traumatic brain injuries except for one episode of extreme high fever resulting in convulsions and paralysis and one episode of extreme hypoglycemia resulting in muscle contractions/spasms.

Please don't feel a need to hide information. We have seen people with problems due to self-inflicted injuries, injuries at the viscous hand of another, totally innocent accident to foolishness or even stupidity. The what's and why's of the past don't matter. How we move forward is what is important. Doctors rarely take enough interest to effect change. We have most of the control as we move forward.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote