View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014, 08:58 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ger715 View Post
Years ago, started with Hyperthroid; doctor prescribed Tapazole. Eventuall went into remission for a couple of years. For the past 8 or 9 years have been hypothroid and take synthroid daily. But, every since I was found to have throid disease; have had bloodwork done every 4 -6 months, and a doctor visit the following week. The only time, since being hypothroid, I had reading change was when I used a generic instead of the brand synthroid. I read, on the internet, that in the case of hypothroid DO NOT use a generic. While everything shoudl be the same; it is not. I asked my doctor not to raise my prescription; but to put "Brand Only" on my prescription and started using Snythroid daily. Went back for bloodwork three months later and everything was within normal range again. Did not change doseage; only the Synthroid Brand. This had been a few years now and still within normal and no prescription change.

Just a little "did you know" using a generic could change outcome of blood test.

(Gerry)
Gerry,

This is an old post but I thought of sharing my experience on generic Synthroid. For reasons I dont understand and neither my endocrinologists (including my endoc back in my country), whenever i shift to the generic version, my thyroid function will be out of range. My doctor here in the US commented that he has some patients like me who do not respond well with the generic Synthroid.

Mary
Idiopathic PN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote