View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014, 09:56 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlindeb25 View Post
I too am concerned about my family. None of my kids want to hear about being tested. With a grandpa, aunt, and mom with celiac, you would think they would want to make sure, but nope! It does cost a lot more to be us, yet health should be their first concern.

I was gene tested and am a Double DQ 1, which is a double dose of gluten intolerance, along with the fact that many doctors think you can't possibly be celiac unless you are DQ2 or DQ8. Me being double DQ1 means both my parents have a DQ1 gene. My dad and sister, both celiacs have never been gene tested. A very big percent of celiacs have never been gene tested. My neurologist said I suffer from sprue, my PCP at the time had no doubt whatsoever that I am celiac. Nonetheless, right or wrong, I can't have gluten or any grains. I am what I am, right???
You are correct in saying you are what you are...and yes right! The one thing I am learning is that there is more to what I am, than originally thought. Is it just my dna attributing to the DQ; or am I also affected by other genes, or my other food intake, or other disease innoculations, or other diseases, or my geographical area??? One of the 3 neuro surgeons who were allowed to be present with my tumor recision at Mayo Clinic actually asked me later...where I was born and grew up, they already had my shortened medical past, but there was a plethera of other questions...we are who we are!
JoanieP is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote