View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014, 12:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi all, I've been reading all of your posts with great interest and admiration.

The reason I am posting is because I am unsure if alcohol is the cause of the symptoms that I have, and like others on here, I have been trying to search for an alternative cause. This is not because I desperately want to drink alcohol again (although a beer from time to time would be nice..) but because I am afraid that it may be something rather more serious.

My symptoms are/have been: sore muscles on soles of feet, burning shins, numb ring finger, aching finger joints, GI problems (including acid reflux), sore fingertips, fine muscle twitches in feet and hands, muscular twitches elsewhere on body, tingling and itchy forearms, odd feeling knees....I think that's it..

The above are not constant and do start/stop/reduce but they never go away permanently. My Father was diagnosed with Alcoholic PN 5 years ago after some serious binge drinking and he hasn't made a full recovery. However he is now mobile and doesn't use a stick to walk.

My drinking habits were different to his. I have drank every day for the last 7/8 years, around a bottle of wine at a time -- sometimes topped up with a few beers too. Sometimes at weekends it would be more than this but that was the average I guess. During this time and before it too, I have been very active. I run 2/3 times a week and cycle 1/2 time p/w too - I wonder if this is why my symptoms haven't been as bad as some?

Anyway I've rambled a lot but the bottom line is - I'm sick of damaging myself with alcohol and I have now quit with the intention of never drinking again. This is my 10th day.

It would be great if anyone has any comments or further questions on the above as it may help me to deal with this thing...

Thanks for reading and I wish everyone well with their challenges.
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (01-26-2014), Icehouse (01-19-2014), kidwonder (01-18-2014), mrsD (01-19-2014), newstown (01-17-2014), Wide-O (01-17-2014)