View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014, 01:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

[QUOTE=Susanne C.;1043932]Yes, Gerry, I should have edited addicted to dependent. Addiction is a psychological response and dependency is a physiological response.
I am on 30 mg MS Contin three times a day with 7.5 Percocet for breakthrough pain. I am supposed to start on Baclofen for muscle spasticity, but still waiting on Cigna pharmacy. I have hereditary neuropathy as well as spinal arthritis and the pain is unrelenting and distracting. I would have no quality of life or ability to function even in a limited sense without the meds and I am sure I would be a burden to my family.

I have a few things to say.

First: Enbloc I am sorry I missed your birthday. So happy belated!!

Second: Elaine I don't think I have ever heard anyone on here say they were pain free. That is awesome for you. It is actually my dream. I always say I just want to wake up pain free for one day. You sound like you have managed to achieve that.

I also get 20mgs of solmedrol with my IVIG. Not sure if it makes any difference. I don't believe there will be any long term effects with this once a month dose but I could be wrong. I just got a script for a bone density for a baseline just in case.

Third: Susanne I believe you also have SFN as I do. Some people on here may remember me saying that sister had a severe case of RA. She started taking narcs and became so bad she began the doctor shopping, alcohol use etc. She is no longer with us. So I'm sure everyone can understand my hesitance to use them.

Now that being said, I live with a pain level of 7-10 on a daily basis. I actually tell my husband most people would be in bed screaming and tearing their hair out. I have tried almost every drug out there. The doctor just started me on Enbrel last week and now wants me to try Keppra. I said I wanted to wait until I see if the Enbrel works.

A few months ago I had a flare up so bad that I could not stop crying or get out of bed. Well, I finally gave is and took 5 mgs of Percocet 3 times a day for a few days. It really helped. I'm still afraid but after that I have started taking 5mgs a half hour before a walk that I have begun almost everyday. Well guess what it gets me through my walk! It even stays with me a little while. My pain reduces to about a 5-6. Which is good for me. I asked my doctor to give me a script for 5mgs once a day (so far). I think I will go higher if need be in the future.

I wonder why everyone (myself included) reacts so negatively to narc for the type of pain we all suffer. Some of the side effects I have experienced from the meds I have tried and am taking make dependence on something seem minimal. I know I have a great support system and if they thought I was doing something I shouldn't they would tell me. Quite the contrary they encourage me to use the narcs if it will give me a better quality of life and I believe it does.
hopeful is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ElaineD (01-16-2014), ger715 (01-16-2014), Susanne C. (01-16-2014)