View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014, 05:37 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ger715 View Post
Maryjane,
As I had mentioned previously, i had L4-5 fusion(Rods & Screws) done during the same surgery as laminectomy. My pain has continued; but my vertebrae had been crushing a major nerve between the two levels. The surgeon said he had never seen "such an angry red nerve before". If I had not had the fusion, I'm afraid the nerve would have been severed sooooo, while I still have pain; it would have been worse had I not had the fusion done.

As Ginny said.....sometimes they take away the pain; but often fusion is done because the vetebrae are coming down (sometimes a domino effect..more than one or two); but without the surgery, there can be a risk of additional damage.

It's always good to get as much input as possible. Both of us are happy we can be of help in any way.

Gerry
thanks for reminding me. so your fusion has helped save your spine. How much pain are you in now and can you walk normally and if so form how long? I guess my spine is not unstable and no one can find impingement on MRI. But I feel the nerve pain at L5 nerve root. because when I get the epidural it initailly takes away the pain. what do they do when epidurals help but don't really fully take away teh pain? keep doing epidurals or surgery? the problem is nothing pops out on teh MRI. Clearly L4-5 is gone but apparently no clear idea if it is the pain generator. I have gotten 3 different opinions. One to operate on a presumed stenosis at L5 S1 and teh other to do a possible 3 level hybrid and ADR. what would you do?
maryjane11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote