View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 07:24 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegAlfOCon View Post
My second shunt lasted from age 4 to age 18 and my third from age 18 to age 34. That one was only replaced because my peritoneal cavity got stubborn and refused to harbor any more cerebral spinal fluid so I had to have a VA shunt placed. That one only lasted 4 years but I did lose about 85 lbs which was a positive thing in some respects but did throw a lot of my shunt issues out of whack. So I don't think anyone really knows how long a shunt will last, what's important to monitor for changes and have them assessed while letting your child live their life. That's what my parents did for me. I've flown a plane and ran a half marathon. I have a master's degree and am considering a doctorate. I'm a total spaz when it comes to coordination so I'm not much of an athlete but I love to dance and I'm a fine actress (which helps when I have to play the role of serious professional talking to mucky mucks about politics and bureaucracy. On those days I wear my glasses to get in character). My mother recently commented that she is proud of how resilient I am because even when I get depressed and angry over another complication, I express it then use it to help me move on. I thank God that I had the parents I did who always pushed me to do my best yet helped me stay within my limits.

Many thanks to all of you for the sharing. All of your views and experience really gave me insight view of it. If we broke how can we give spirit to our child ? Thanks to all of you again. Now I understand that it will vary as every patient is different .Do u know is there any restriction that person should not do after he/she having shunt ?
smaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote