View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 12:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRPStweet View Post
I have CRPS and need to apply very soon for social security disability. I will have the option of utilizing the group my LTD insurance plan offers for filing and following me through the social security disability process. It is no cost to me if I use their attorney. I would like to know if others have used this type of service through their LTD insurance carrier and if you think it was a good idea or a bad mistake! Thank you!
I would file first for LTD they will invariably require you to file for SSD. I am assuming you will get approved for LTD and since it normally takes much more time to get approved for SSD you would benefit by having the income from your LTD plan while you go through the hoops with SSD. Plus, once you do get approved for SSD even if your offset for LTD payments hits the max, the LTD plan will pay a minimum of $100/month.

Regarding using the LTD carriers group to help with the process of obtaining SSD. They should help you with no cost but please double check. The reason they offer this service is because SSD payments will offset the payments they make to you under your plan so of course they want to help you get approved!

Good Luck
zookester is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote