View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 01:10 PM
anon6618

anon6618

Default Acetylcholine: how does it work?

Hi, there is something I do not understand. It may be because I totally get it wrong altogether, please help me understand.

Some MG patients are anti-AChR positive, which means they have antibodies agains the acetylcholine receptors, which are the ones that respond to the binding of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. There are different kind of AChR; the nicotinic and the muscarinic. The antibodies attack one kind of receptor; the Nm type: the nicotinic receptors located in the neuromuscular junction which causes the contraction of skeletal muscles by way of end-plate potential.

Now, I wonder about the following:

1) here's a table where you can read what drug has a positive or negative influence on the different receptors, like mestinon (pyridostigmine)wikipedia
I see more than only the drugs used to treat MG, f.e. I see Nicotine has a + for Nm too. Does this mean nicotine can help us?!

2) is there a connection between MG or Mestinon, and the brain? I just can't get to the point of understanding. I read one those nicotinic receptors are in the brain too. I don't think it's the Nm receptors, so probably the ones in the brain do not get attacked by dear antibodies. However, in the table it says mestinon has + for effect on all the receptors. Though I thought mestinon does not pass the brain blood barriere.

Anyway, something I find interesting and really want to know more about.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote