View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 01:49 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi, Sorry to hear your Dad is having so many troubles. Though we are all just patients here we can tell you what we know and about our own experiences. So here goes. Everything I have heard about Comtan, and that it is claimed that it will do is about getting Levodopa to the brain more effectively. My own experience was that I needed to lower my Sinemet as I upped the Comtan.

I was started of on this with one dose of Comtan a day for a week, then the following week add a second dose until I was taking three. I was also told that if I got jittery I could wait a bit longer before adding a dose. All in all it took me about 4 weeks to add the three a day.

By then I had noticed that I seemed overmedicated, had some extra movements etc. and having previously adjusted Sinemet successfully with the help of my PD nurse I decided to slightly lower each dose as gradually as I had increased the Comtan. I would not advise anyone doing this on their own, I had my nurse available at the end of a phone line if I needed, not everyone has this.

I found that I was able to reduce Sinemet intake by about a third, and get a better response with Comtan. This may not happen for everyone, and it could be that your father is one of the people who are sensitive to it, and for whom it is not suitable. Still it sounds as though he is very overmedicated, and I would ask his neuro about this and what is the best way forward. If he agrees that your dad is overmedicated work out a slow safe plan to reduce Sinemet with him/her, and take things as slow as needed to stabilise things.

PD medications are powerful and med changes are often problematic, it is important to have patience in getting things to a place where things are working well.

Its nice that you are looking out for your dad. Best wishes in finding a way forward with getting him stabilised. If he has to come off Comtan it might be a bit bumpy too, but with time things should get easier.
lindylanka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote