View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 04:00 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookester View Post
I would file first for LTD they will invariably require you to file for SSD. I am assuming you will get approved for LTD and since it normally takes much more time to get approved for SSD you would benefit by having the income from your LTD plan while you go through the hoops with SSD. Plus, once you do get approved for SSD even if your offset for LTD payments hits the max, the LTD plan will pay a minimum of $100/month.

Regarding using the LTD carriers group to help with the process of obtaining SSD. They should help you with no cost but please double check. The reason they offer this service is because SSD payments will offset the payments they make to you under your plan so of course they want to help you get approved!

Good Luck
Thx Zookester! I have just been approved for LTD payment through my prior employment policy. It was a long road, but my claim is approved! And yes I understand the LTD carriers group will help me now, at no cost to me. The attorney of their choice would get paid by my insurance carrier because it helps the LTD insurance carrier to get me approved for ss, so they get the offset of payment from social security. However, I wanted to know if anyone has heard any cautions about going this route. I am just concerned because if you get something for free, the old saying is "you get what you paid for". I must decide very soon if I want to use the service offered by the LTD insurance carrier or hire my own attorney that I pay for myself. Money is a concern but the most important thing is that I get social security benefits approved. Zookester, have you, or anyone else here, been in my situation and could you share if yours was a positive or negative outcome by using the LTD carrier's group and their attorneys? Many tx!
CRPStweet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote