View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 04:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

It's interesting that we all have 'hot buttons'.

I have genetically outrageous cholesterol. Identified when I was 37. I had arcus senilis which is a ring of lipid around my cornea. And I was thin, active and had cholesterol over 400.

At 57 I had severe coronary artery disease, the Left Anterior Descending Artery (called the Widow Maker for a reason) was 95% blocked and I had two other blocked arteries. Fortunately I had caught it before a heart attack, and angioplasties and stents cleared my arteries.

And I have taken 80 MG of Lipitor a day since 1999...so going on 15 years.

I had no problems with muscles or neuropathy until 2007-9 (I didn't even know I had severe PN until it was identified in 2009).

My PN is 'probably' the result of the Macrobid (Nitrofurantoin) I took daily for 3 months and then 10 days out of ever 60 for the next two years or more. Starting in 2007. I had chronic UTIs, and was terrified of another septic kidney infection with e-coli. I now never have a UTI because I take D-Mannose daily.

I know the power and influence of the drug industry (my husband taught in medical school for 25 years, and my son is a doctor). I know that little research is done on PN and statins, probably due to that power.

But knowing all of that, I take my statin horse pill every day. Thank goodness is it now available in generic.

For every person who suffers from the effects of a drug, there are others who benefit greatly. Generally speaking major clinical trials are aimed at finding the results and benefits of any drug for the majority of those taking the drug.

The world is what it is. Power and money corrupt everyone, and have in all places and in all times. Life is full of risk, and we don't get out alive.

I know many people on many forums feel compelled to crusade against something that has harmed them.

I have a more philosophical (or perhaps lazy?) approach. I feel that I have had more than 10 years of life due to the medical sciences advancements that have been made in my life time.

I have signed those forms before surgery, you know the ones that list everything that 'can happen'. I don't even read them.

We all do what we can, and I appreciate the efforts everyone makes to help the world be safer. It is a noble cause.

Hugs, Elaine
ElaineD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
en bloc (01-18-2014), ger715 (01-17-2014), hopeful (01-20-2014)