View Single Post
Old 01-18-2014, 03:09 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I will tell you my experience, but it is kinda opposite of what you are going thru. I have RSD/CRPS throughout most of my body and my last day worked was Dec 28, 2012. My employer had STD and LTD benefits. I was denied STD benefits and appealed several times. I was finally approved STD benefits in Dec and LTD benefits were approved the following week....it only took a year While in the process of filing my appeals, I went ahead and applied for Social Security Disability. I applied in April 2013 and was approved on first application and within three months. I filed my SSDI claim on my own. I had all of my medical records because of filing for STD/LTD, so I am sure that helped. I have a friend who is a disability analyst at Social Security and she told me not to get an attorney until it reaches the hearing stage. She said that attorneys delay the entire process and do nothing but cause problems. She said once an attorney is involved, everything has to go thru the attorney. They probably delay things purposely to increase their payout. She did not have anything about my claim being approved, my claim was actually farmed out to another state because of the huge backlog.

I tried to find an attorney to handle my STD/LTD appeals and only found one who was willing to help, but his fee was $4,000 up front. What incentive would he have if he received his full fee up front...no thank you!! I filed all of my appeals on my own, so glad I did.

It was a hard, stressful process, but it paid off doing it myself. I did not have to pay anyone! I know you will not have to pay the LTD insurance carriers attorneys, but they may get paid their hefty fee from the insurance company no matter what they do or how long they take. It is hard to say. I would definitely check them out, research them and ask many questions. You have to feel comfortable with it.

Good Luck!!
Nanc
Nanc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote