In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

news video with jim.
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...ity&id=5325301

Illinois Veteran in the fight of his life By Karen Meyer
May 24, 2007 -

After two tours of duty in ther Persian Gulf, an Illinois Veteran was looking forward to being home with his family. Three years ago, he was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's Disease and is now facing a difficult battle.

Related Links
www.alsa.org
Jim Thew understood the risk a person takes when he or she joins the military but the 35-year-old could not have prepared for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) or more commonly known as Lou Gehrig's Disease.
Thew joined the Navy at 19, shortly after he graduated from high school.

"I was a jet engine mechanic," Thew said. "I went in 1991 and I got out in 1999. I worked on the SH60 B Helicopter."

Thew said he was proud to represent his country and did two tours of duty during the Persian Gulf War, first aboard the USS Fife and then the USS Kertz.

"The Army was my first kick but I ended up going in the Navy because I got a job," said Thew.

After making the transition to civilian life, Jim's future changed at the end of 2003.

"I had severe coughing spells," Thew said. "I was dizzy and my foot was dragging and I finally got in and I was seeing a neurologist at the VA (Hospital) and that's when he started diagnosing me."

After the ALS diagnosis, Thew could no longer work and lost his home because of medical bills. The married father of three refused to give up and got involved with the ALS Association of Greater Chicago. It is a not-for-profit organization that provides education and support groups for people with ALS.

Patient Services Coordinator Nicole Sammartino remembered the first time she met Thew.

"When I came aboard, I was told I had to meet him," Sammartino said. "He really is our spokesperson and does so much for our chapter in creating awareness for ALS."

Thew has been helping other veterans with ALS to get the recognition of the disease in the military.

"There is so little known about ALS but there is even less known about ALS in the military," Thew said. "Military veterans have a higher rate of ALS and the Gulf War Veterans at twice higher the rate."

Thew's wife Kumiko said he will continue to fight the disease.

"He's fought once before," Kumiko said. "He's fighting right now from this disease."

Thew said he still wonders why this happened to him.

"I served in the military and I'm a good citizen so what did I do that I would get something as devastating as what I call ALS the Monster," said Thew.

To assist people like Jim Thew, you can call the ALS Association of Greater Chicago at 312-932-0000 or visit their website at www.alsa.org

ALS/MND Registry

BobbyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote